Tuesday, September 4, 2012

We Need Some Rain!

Date: September 3rd

Weather: 89 degrees

Stream: clear, 90’s cfs

Hatch: Tiny mayflies

Beer: The Dancing Man

            Since I came back from the Eastern Shore, the Midwest countryside has taken a different hue. Everything is so dry; leaves are changing earlier than I remember, the streams are low, and the corn is brown. The lingering summer heat doesn’t help either.

            With a month left in the season, it has been quite the season. Due to the bridge construction I have had the lower Kinnie all to myself. This is unheard of, almost any night of the week the parking lot would be filled with cars. With the drought, the leaves have turned and given the Kinnie a nice hue of crisp yellow, albeit early.

            Fishing tonight was slow; changing up flies did little plus I lost my hot green caddis nymph to a snag early on. My orange beadhead scud hooked two small trout at my hot spot then nothing. I switched to a big size 10 green stonefly nymph but that didn’t do much either. Hard pressed, I drifted it past a tricky location full of branches and hooked a beautiful 14 inch trout. This trout didn’t want to leave its hole; it made some nice long runs just like a bass. My heart was beating fast when I netted and measured it, just a beauty. 




No comments:

Post a Comment