Saturday, September 22, 2012

Kinnickinnic Naniboujou

Date: September 13th 

Weather: 70 degrees

Stream: clear, 90s cfs

Hatch: Small moth-like insects

Beer: New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest

            This is a hard story to take, I wouldn’t believe if it had not happened to me. Evenings on the Kinnie this fishing season have been nothing but enchanting especially with a trout on your line. This evening was no different, beautiful fall colors were starting to show, I had the river to myself and there was an unexpected hatch going on and trout were biting. But it turned out to be a lot different.

            I worked my way upstream following my usual spots going after hungry trout and ended up at my honey hole. I tied a big tan humpy on, the closet thing I had to the moth-like insects I saw and had at it. I caught a lot of nice trout eager to pack on the calories before the lean months arrive. When I fish, half the time I’m zoned out not paying attention to my fly but looking at the scenery. As I was looking I saw a huge splash in front of me and thick trout launched straight two feet out of the water to grab a bug. That wasn’t so much strange as it was startling to see such a leap. Later, at the same spot as I was fishing I thought I heard some low voices speaking and coming closer to me from the trail that goes along the river. It turned out to be no one but I swear I heard voices. After a minute, I resumed fishing and caught some nice trout.

            On a sloppy cast I almost tangled my fly in a branch but luckily it missed and dropped six inches from the rock wall. Before the current could move the fly a huge trout slurped the fly and I set the hook not on sight but sound. For a 15 inch trout it didn’t fight as well but did manage to tangle itself up in some woody debris on river bottom. I had to wade out and untangle it while water spilled over my waders but the fish was mine. I think it was one of the most beautiful browns I had ever seen; its red spots and golden sides were especially vibrant.

            My last two trout were destined for the frying pan, something I was eagerly looking forward, both for some nice meat and to see if I could harvest some caviar as well. With darkness falling earlier in September, I packed out the canyon and latched my creel shut to make sure I didn’t lose my trout. The canyon is a long walk out and as I was walking past the construction where limestone had been blasted out from the hill to widen the lanes I saw a guy walking across a narrow ledge halfway up the limestone face, about 15 feet off the ground. My mind was shattered seeing this so I kept walking, I couldn’t even respond. I made it to the car in time to break everything down and try New Glarus’ Octoberfest, which was excellent by the way, much better than Schell’s for this year. The ride home was uneventful.

            Arriving at the bike shop I immediately grabbed the trout so I could gut them. As I reached in I brushed aside the grass I keep in there but found nothing. I threw down the creel and looked all around my trunk for the trout in case they fell out but they weren’t there, I yelled a lot of curse words. My mind immediately jumped to some Boundary Waters stories I remembered and instantly knew what happened to me, the Windigo. It’s a spirit in Native American lore, specifically Ojibwa tribes who lived around the Great Lakes region. I’ve heard it called the Windigo and the Naniboujou but I can’t say specifically which it is. All I know is it is a spirit who likes to play jokes on unsuspecting people. It got me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment