Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Pursuit of Trout Caviar

Date: September 28th

Weather: 75 dropping to 55 degrees

Stream: Clear, low

Hatch: Tiny mayflies

Beer: Kristallweizen

            Usually, when you tell people how good caviar tastes, their mind is just shattered, especially in the Midwest. No red blooded Minnesotan would ever think to harvest fish eggs to serve as an appetizer. But let me tell you, some nice sourdough rye and crème fraîche topped with succulent orange roe and you are in business. Towards the end of September is when the trout spawn so I needed no convincing to hit up the Kinnie.

            Before I hiked up the canyon I had already run into three other anglers, unheard of for me with ongoing bridge construction. It threw me off my game. Instead of taking my time and plying runs and holes with a variety of techniques, I had to make a straight beeline to my favorite spots. This season has spoiled me, the Kinnie has been mine alone and I don’t know how I will manage next year.

            As I’ve noticed the last few Septembers, there is usually some sort of insect hatch which causes aggressive trout in fall forage mode to go crazy. Nymphs and streamers are not quite as essential and differing size trout can be hooked on a dry fly. Nothing is quite so beautiful as to watch a fly drift with the current only to disappear with a splash and gulp. Tonight was like that and it was refreshing to end the season how I started.

            The only thing about harvesting trout for caviar is it’s a 50-50 chance whether you will bring home a female. I drew the short end of the stick but didn’t find out till I was gutting the trout in my kitchen sink hot in anticipation for caviar. No luck with that tonight but trout for breakfast beats the hell out of frosted flakes. My only regret is the season ends in two days and I haven’t fished enough this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment