Monday, July 2, 2012

Wormin’

Date: July 1st   

Weather: 93 degrees

Stream: High and clear

Hatch: Minimal

Beer: The Dancing Man

            I thought the Kinnickinnic canyon and cool water would offer the perfect respite from the heat wave. So certain, I brought my younger brother Eric out to ply the Kinnie. But it was just as hot as St. Paul. With this heat wave, insect hatches are negligible so the trout stay down in the deepest pools. The best technique to reach them is either nymphing on a fly rod or using a worm on a spinning rod. Wormin’ is the way to go and you can hit great water unavailable to a dry fly where the biggest trout lurk.

            A little ways up the Kinnie is a huge Willow tree that fell into the river during the late summer flood in 2010. It created the perfect spot for trout: deep water, shade, cover and current. Eric and I started wormin’ there and quickly caught some nice trout. Further upstream, we hit my hot spot and caught quite a few more trout. Eric hooked a beauty at my favorite spot. I only saw a few rises during the evening so the trout were keeping low in this hot weather.

            With the heat, it was hard to stay long on the river. There was no breeze throughout the canyon but the water was beautiful. At our last stop, I threw a worm into a deep pool I had never hit before and my first cast hooked a fat 16 inch bass, a rare catch on the Kinnie. A few trout later we packed up and headed out without even stopping to drink my customary beer after an evening of fishing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment