Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why Go Anywhere Else But The Kinnie?

Date: July 7th
   
Weather: 85 degrees

Stream: Clear

Hatch: Minimal

Beer: Summit Horizon Red Ale

            The last week has been misery with such extreme temperatures and no air conditioning. It was like 104 degrees last Friday and my house was a steamy 95 degrees inside. The heat finally broke and I had to get outside to enjoy some time on the river with my buddy Donny. The Kinnickinnic has been my river so why change a good thing but it’s hard to believe I haven’t even made it out to the Rush River.

            High temperatures have put a halt to the hatch though July is when tricos start appearing. No sign of them so far. Wormin’ is the way to go and at the first hole we started catching some beautiful 8-12” trout. The biggest highlight was seeing a ‘sconnie kayaker get spun around in the rapids and tip her kayak right over our fishing hole. Good thing for her Donny made the jump right in to save her at the expense of his cell phone.

            Huger suckers and smallmouths were on the river. There are always a few but I bet they swam up from the St. Croix to find cooler water. At one spot there was at least a 12 pound sucker we tried hard to catch but to no avail. The bass bite was hot too which is always a fun time. I missed the biggest trout I’ve ever seen at a rarely hit spot so before the season is over I will catch it. With all this hot weather, next time I will have to set up my Czech nymphing rig.

No comments:

Post a Comment