Sunday, July 22, 2012

How David Got His Groove Back

Date: July 22nd

Weather: 91 degrees, humid

Stream: Clear

Hatch: Tiny BWO’s

Beer: The Dancing Man

            Today, I made an early pit stop at the Kinni Creek Fly Shop in River Falls to pick up some strike indicators, terrestrial and nymph patterns. The owner sure makes herself out to be a lot nicer over her website than in person. She had a nice selection of flies though.

            I’ve never had decent strike indicators ever so I gave it a whirl today and the trout started biting. I used a pheasant tail with a tungsten head to maximum effectiveness. I did so well I couldn’t believe I had been neglecting this tactic for so long. The long runs of medium depth held the most trout; they were slightly smaller but gave a good fight. Snags were a major annoyance. I lost three great bead head nymphs and I had nothing left in my fly box at the end of the night. I can live with that; last year this time I wanted to snap my rod in half.

            I loved nymphing; I could hit some different water and hook fish when they weren’t rising. Although, every time I situated at a nice spot kayakers passed and swirled the water spooking the trout. I forgot to bring a pen to mark trout but I think I hooked around 12 and kept two for a Balsam Lake smoke out. Also, a cute girl gave some positive feedback about my camouflage pants I always wear which gave me a good laugh. They were the cheapest ones and a man just needs to wear camo pants in Wisconsin.

            Anyways, what the hell is Summit Brewing doing these days? They pulled their vaunted Summer Ale off the shelves to replace it with Oktoberfest more than a month and half before that is supposed to arrive on shelves. Their Summer Ale sucked big time but shelf life is what the brewery is going for these days. They canceled their summer Hefe because they couldn’t ensure quality. But that’s stupid, who cares about ensuring quality in Florida, stick to your home market like New Glarus does. The Minnesota beer market is wide open for some real innovators, who will it be?








No comments:

Post a Comment