Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Love Medicine

Date: April 13th

Weather: 37 degrees

Stream: clear

Hatch: little BWO’s

Beer: THE DANCING MAN

            Oh my God! The Dancing Man has returned to the shelves a month early. It looks like the folks at New Glarus took my advice – put your best beer on the shelves for a longer duration – it’s that simple. I was so happy to it see but I must admit it’s strange to be drinking the D-Man when snow is on the ground. But I’m not complaining, it’s one of the few brews out there made for men.

            Big storms, melt and snow have blown out the rivers. All the river conditions updates for the past two weeks had the Willow, Kinnie and Rush flowing like chocolate milk. The Kinnie was running really high when I first set out, higher than any time last year. Nymphing rigs had to be set much deeper for the same spots. They produced decently, nothing special. I was sure some big stoneflies would hook some hogs but nothing. I think I was using a Prince nymph too but I don’t remember I was pretty zoned out on the river.

            However, spinners have been the hot ticket this snowy spring. Something about the gold or silver blades flashing over runs proves irresistible. At a bunch of nice pools and runs I casted my spinner 45 degrees upstream, let the current pull it, reeled slowly and sure enough a gold flash would appear from the murky bottom tugging on your line. I caught a bunch, mostly in that 8-12 inch range, nothing special but it’s fun when they are biting.

            I hiked far back again but my honey hole from last week was dry. It was disappointing but that’s how it goes. The scenery was beautiful; turkeys were roosting in the bluffs, lots of eagles were out and I believe I saw a bobcat sneaking through the woods on the opposite bank. It was a good day to be on the river. It was nourishing for the soul and body spending seven hours next to the river in tranquility. Love medicine, it’s powerful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment