Friday, January 11, 2013

Hay Creek

Date: January 11th  

Weather: 37 degrees, drizzle and fog

Stream: Clear

Hatch: One midge

Beer: Boulevard Wheat

            It’s taken me a year but I’ve finally made the hour plus drive to Hay Creek near Red Wing. I’ve heard whispers of its bounty plus an active, ongoing restoration effort. Typically, it would make for a better story if I was exploring new water as new growth was sprouting from the forest floor and season’s first mayflies had emerged. But I live in Minnesota and I have to take advantage of the season when I can even in January plus I got the chance to check out my new spinning rod.  Hay Creek was beautiful; it winds through some beautiful pastures, rolling hills and thick forest. However, it’s nowhere near as good as the Kinnie.

            I approached one promising pool and tide on a brand new spinner hoping the flashy orange and gold would entice something. First cast caught a snag but the second hooked something big. It would be disingenuous to say my fishing reflexes were sharp, I hadn’t caught a fish since September 30th and kept reeling instead of setting the hook. To my luck I saw a gold flash emerge out of the depths and rip line from the drag. In a short battle I had the beauty ashore for a quick picture. I’m still in disbelief that I landed the trout without setting the hook and using barbless spinners. It measured out at a stout 14 inches, a great start to 2013. In the next five minutes I caught another brown and a 10 inch brookie. Then the bite stopped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment