Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Magic on the Kinnickinnic

Date: May 30th
County Road F bridge demolition 

Weather: 63, cloudy

Hatch: Cahills, Baetis, and a big one I’ve never seen

Beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow

            Maybe it’s my one night changeup in beer from Dancing Man to Spotted Cow. Or maybe it’s the construction on the County Road F Bridge keeping most of the anglers off the Kinnie. May is always good to me but tonight was something else. I hadn’t been out in a while due to a barrage of big, rolling Midwest storms which churned up the rivers. Tonight, the mayflies were buzzing all over the river’s surface and trout were catapulting themselves out of the river for each bite. It was a good sign because I had just restocked my supply of dry flies.

            It was a bitch getting down to the Kinnie in the first place. The angler’s parking lot is closed so I had to walk from the state park through the woods and scale down a canyon to get to my spots. Scaling down canyon walls while holding a fly rod in your mouth is a little scary but not too bad. It was worth it though. I only fished three spots but I caught so many fish I didn’t need to go very far. The second spot I fished was one I usually skip over but the trout were jumping in rhythm as I approached. Every trout I hooked had some extra fight in it. After the initial set, they were jumping straight out of the water and fighting hard, even the little ones too. I was catching so many trout I started a tally on my arm to keep track. This evening was unlike any other, I could keep writing but the pictures do better justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment